Review: Silverwing


Silverwing
Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel

My rating: 3 of 5 stars



"Silverwing" is a colony of small dark bats, migrating south, ahead of runt Shade. Swept out to sea by a storm, he meets older Marina, banished by Brightwings who thought her band was a poison curse. She asks to join Shade's colony, led by a banded elder. They believe bands are a sign of divine promise that bats will regain the day, against present owl law. Every stranger has beliefs that challenge and rock Shade's, reminding us to question everyone.
I don't like children who misbehave and endanger others, like Lion King. When Goth, huge vicious Vampire, escapes the same direction as the young, I'm caught up. He eats pigeons, who call the owls, who rule that all bats are to be killed, all hours. I didn't need an blind albino oracle, or villain's dream, to know vanished banded father Cassiel lives, and the journey will be hard.
The lesson is to value others and ourselves for what is inside, not outer trappings. "You're the only bat who's liked me because of who I am ... That makes you the best friend I've ever had."
(series 10+ awards: Canada, US, France, Spain, ...)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment